UFC on ESPN 14 results: Robert Whittaker edges out Darren Till
The UFC held the promotion’s third event at Fight Island this weekend, and now the full results are in for UFC on ESPN 14. The main event saw the return of Australian former middleweight champion Robert Whittaker, as he took on British star Darren Till. The Englishman got off to a strong start, dropping Whittaker in the opening round, however the latter would recover well. The former champ bounced back with a strong second round, in which he dropped Till and managed to hold top position. They each grabbed one round each after that, having the fight tied leading up to the final round. Till started the round off well, opening a cut on Whittaker, but the latter snatched the round scoring a takedown and landing a series of strikes.
In the end Whittaker managed to edge out Till with 48-47 across all three judges score cards.
“I had to really adapt on the go,” Whittaker said . “It went his way, then my way, then his way, then my way.”
OTHER MMA NEWS:
- Gina Carano breaks the internet – With now-deleted nude pictures!
- You won’t believe how these UFC stars looked when young!
- Mike Perry SLAMS “skinny, weak little f**k” Nate Diaz
- Nate Diaz fires shots at Conor McGregor: “What happened…”
- TRT Vitor Belfort back? See the UFC legend’s crazy transformation!
Brazilian legends Mauricio “Shogun” Rua and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira met for a third time in the co-main event. Even though it was Nogeira’s final fight beffore retiring, it was “Shogun” that took the lead and managed to do enough to win two out of three rounds on all judges scorecards. Alexander Gustafsson made his UFC return as well, taking on former heavyweight champ Fabricio Werdum. It was a short affair, however, as the Brazilian managed to get Gustafsson down, securing an armbar victory in the first round.
UFC on ESPN 14 full results
- Robert Whittaker def. Darren Till via unanimous decision (48-47, 48-47, 48-47)
- Mauricio Rua def. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Fabricio Werdum def. Alexander Gustafsson via submission (armbar) — Round 1, 2:30
- Carla Esparza def. Marina Rodriguez via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 30-27)
- Paul Craig def. Gadzhimurad Antigulov via submission (triangle choke) – Round 1, 2:06
- Alex Oliveira def. Peter Sobotta via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Khamzat Chimaev def. Rhys McKee via TKO (ground-and-pound) – Round 1, 3:09
- Francisco Trinaldo def. Jai Herbert via TKO (punches) – Round 3, 1:30
- Jesse Ronson def. Nicolas Dalby via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 2:48
- Tom Aspinall def. Jake Collier via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 0:45
- Movsar Evloev def. Mike Grundy via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Tanner Boser def. Raphael Pessoa via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 2:36
- Pannie Kianzad def. Bethe Correia via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Ramazan Emeev def. Niklas Stolze via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Nathaniel Wood def. John Castaneda via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)