UFC Mexico City Results: Event ends in disaster with eye poke
After a two year absence from Mexico, the UFC returned to the country’s capital Mexico City, the results are now in the books – and it ended with controversy. The main event saw hometown hero Yair Rodroguez take on hard-hitting veteran Jeremy Stephens in a featherweight bout. The fight was expected to be a tough one, and betting lines were quite even going into the showdown.
The bout would end just 15 seconds into the first round, but now via an exciting finish. After throwing a kick, Rodriguez pushed off, accidentally brushing Stephens’ face with his hands, causing an inadvertent eye-poke. Stephens was allowed the full five minutes to recover, but was not able to continue, the bout was then ruled a No Contest.
- Video: Top 5 One Round Fights
- Mark Madsen bought one-way ticket to Vegas: “I’d be back with a signed UFC contract”
- Conor McGregor agrees to fight Irish boxing champion
The fans in attendance were clearly upset with the result, throwing bottles, cups and others items into the octagon and at Stephens as he was leaving the cage.
— Eric Gomez (@EricGomez86) September 22, 2019
— Karina Rodríguez (@kari_rod8) September 22, 2019
In other results from UFC Mexico, former strawweight champion Carla Esparza defeated local favourite Alexa Grasso via majority decision after three back-and-forth rounds. The flyweight bout between Brandon Moreno and Askar Askarov ended in an elusive split draw and Mexican veteran Irene Aldana got past Vanessa Melo via unanimous decision.
UFC Mexico City results:
- Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens declared no contest (accidental eye poke) – Round 1, 0:15
- Carla Esparza def. Alexa Grasso via majority decision (28-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Askar Askarov vs. Brandon Moreno declared split draw (28-28, 29-28 Askarov, 30-27 Moreno)
- Irene Aldana def. Vanessa Melo via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Steven Peterson def. Martin Bravo via knockout (spinning backfist) – Round 2, 1:31
- Jose Quinonez def. Carlos Huachin via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Kyle Nelson def. Marco Polo Reyes via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 1:36
- Angela Hill def. Ariane Carnelossi via TKO (doctor’s stoppage) – Round 3, 1:56
- Sergio Pettis def. Tyson Nam via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Paul Craig def. Vinicius Moreira via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 3:19
- Bethe Correia def. Sijara Eubanks via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Claudio Puelles def. Marcos Mariano via unanimous decision (30-25, 30-25, 30-25)