Max Holloway defends featherweight title against Alexander Volkanovski at UFC 245
As expected, Max Holloway will make his next title defence against Australian Alexander Volkanovski. While Volkanovski has clearly been next in line for a title shot, when the bout would take place has been somewhat uncertain. Now, according to reports by Australia’s The Daily Telegraph, it’s been revealed that Holloway vs Volkanovski will take place at UFC 245, December 14th, at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- UFC 240 results: Holloway, “Cyborg”, outlast their opposition
- Featherweight champ Max Holloway not done with lightweight
- Alexander Volkanovski Pulls Off Stunning Second Round TKO Against Chad Mendes
- Donald Trump Hails Max Holloway vs Brian Ortega As ‘The Greatest Fight I’ve Ever Seen’
Holloway has accomplished three successful title defences since become the champion in June 2017. He defended the belt for the first time in a rematch with Jose Aldo, once more winning via third round TKO. He then defeated previously unbeaten Brian Ortega via TKO before moving up to lightweight to face Dustin Poirier for the interim lightweight title. Holloway would end up losing a close decision, but got back on track by beating former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar via decision at UFC 240.
Volkanovski is undefeated in the UFC, with an impressive seven straight wins in the octagon. Since his TKO debut win over Yasuke Kasuya in 2016, nobody has been able to get past Volkanovski. The Aussie has also finished Jeremy Kennedy and Chad Mendes via strikes in strong performances. In his most recent bout, he defeated above mentioned Jose Aldo via unanimous decision.
The preliminary fight card can be seen below.
Who wins: Holloway or Volkanovski?
- Champ Amanda Nunes vs. Germaine de Randamie – for women’s bantamweight title
- Champ Max Holloway vs. Alex Volkanovski – for featherweight title
- Robbie Lawler vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio
- Jessica Eye vs. Viviane Araujo Matt Brown vs. Ben Saunders