Report: Khamzat Chimaev vs Leon Edwards postponed due to Covid test
Unfortunately yet another UFC main event has been affected by the pandemic. According to reports to ESPN, Khamzat Chimaev vs Leon Edwards has been postponed due to the latter contracting Covid-19.
“Leon Edwards vs. Khamzat Chimaev isn’t happening on Dec. 19, per sources,” Helwani wrote. “Unfortunately, Edwards recently tested positive for COVID. UFC is hoping to re-book the fight in early 2021, sources say.”
Per sources to ESPN’s Brett Okamoto, Edwards’ case of Covid was so severe that he lost 12 pounds in four days and hasn’t been able to train.
RELATED MMA NEWS
- Khamzat Chimaev challenges the Diaz brothers in the best possible way
- Video: See rising star Khamzat Chimaev receive his BJJ blue belt!
- Khamzat Chimaev vs Kamaru Usman? UFC boss says “Maybe”
- Khamzat Chimaev claims he flew to Ireland to “beat up” Conor McGregor
- Dillon Danis throws shade at Khamzat Chimaev – Backfires spectacularly
- Khamzat Chimaev continues to troll Conor McGregor: “Call your uncle Dana”
- Khamzat Chimaev on fight with”Cowboy” Cerrone: “Easy fight, easy win”
As of now the UFC has not officially commented on the issue, but the sources to ESPN claim that the UFC is planning to rebook the bout for early 2021. Sources to MMAnytt claim that the bout will be rescheduled in January of 2021.
If the sources are correct then it is a huge blow to both fighters, but more so Edwards, who hasn’t fought since July of last year. He was scheduled to face former welterweight champion Tyron Woodley at UFC London earlier this year, but the bout was scrapped due to the outbreak of the ongoing pandemic.
Chimaev burst onto the scene this summer at UFC Fight Island, tearing through John Phillips in less than two rounds – and did so on short notice. He went on to finish Rhys McKee via vicious TKO, and then knocked out Gerald Meerschaert in just 17 seconds.
If reports are correct, while postponed, Khamzat Chimaev vs Leon Edwards will still happen despite the Covid-19 incident.