UFC Vegas results: Gilbert Burns DOMINATES ex champ Tyron Woodley
The UFC returned with yet another event this weekend, showcasing talent both young and old. The main event at UFC Vegas saw former welterweight champion Tyron Woodley return against streaking Brazilian Gilbert Burns, now the full results are in.
Burns opened strongly, rocking Woodley with shots and then taking dominant position. The Brazilian never stepped off the gas, constantly pressuring Woodley with leg kicks, strikes, clinch and takedowns. Woodley had little answer for his opponents advances, also being cut open in the first round. The same momentum continued throughout the entirety of the fight, solidifying a dominant win for Burns, who won every round clearly.
More MMA news:
- Jose Aldo to face Petr Yan for vacant bantamweight title
- Dana White offers to take lie detector test with Jon Jones
- Fans in outrage after Deontay Wilder disrespects Mike Tyson
- Anderson Silva challenges Conor McGregor to super fight
After the fight Burns respectfully called for a title shot with friend and training partner Kamaru Usman.
“I’m very happy. I trained so hard for this fight. I knew I could do it. I was calling this guy out for a reason,” Burns told Daniel Cormier in his post-fight interview. “My name now has got to be the No. 1 contender. I love the champ, my training partner Kamaru Usman, but c’mon – give me the shot. I’ve got a lot of love for you, but I’m next. I want to fight for the title. If they want to make the fight in July, I’m injury free. I want to fight for the title.”
The co-main event saw heavyweights Blagoi Ivanov and Augusto Sakai collide. After three close rounds, the up-and-coming Sakai managed to edge out his opponent via split decision. DWTNCS standout Roosevelt Roberts also picked up another UFC win, submitting Brok Weaver via rear naked choke in round two.
UFC Vegas: Woodley vs Burns – Full results:
- Gilbert Burns def. Tyron Woodley via unanimous decision (50-45, 50-44, 50-44)
- Augusto Sakai def. Blagoy Ivanov via split decision (27-30, 29-28, 29-28)
- Billy Quarantillo def. Spike Carlyle via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Roosevelt Roberts def. Brok Weaver via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 3:26
- Mackenzie Dern def. Hannah Cifers via submission (kneebar) – Round 1, 2:36
- Katlyn Chookagian def. Antonina Shevchenko via unanimous decision (30-25, 30-25, 30-25)
- Daniel Rodriguez def. Gabriel Green via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Jamahal Hill def. Klidson Abreu via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 1:51
- Brandon Royval def. Tim Elliott via submission (arm triangle choke) – Round 2, 3:18
- Casey Kenney def. Louis Smolka via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 3:03
- Chris Gutierrez def. Vince Morales via TKO (leg kicks) – Round 2, 4:27