UFC on ESPN+ 33 results: Aleksandar Rakic bulldozes Anthony Smith
After a setback in December of last year, Aleksandar Rakic is back in the title mix after defeating Anthony Smith, and the full results from this weekend’s UFC event are in.
Both fighters were coming off of a loss heading into the bout, with much at stake for the light heavyweights. Rakic took the lead early, landing hard, debilitating leg kicks that eventually sent Smith crashing to the canvas. Throughout the three round main event Rakic continued pushing the pace, combining effective striking, takedowns and top control while Smith constantly seemed a step behind.
At the end, Rakic stood as a clear-cut winner, winning all three rounds on all judges’ score cards, with one judge even giving a 10-8 round.
OTHER MMA NEWS:
- Gina Carano breaks the internet – With now-deleted nude pictures!
- You won’t believe how these UFC stars looked when young!
- Mike Perry SLAMS “skinny, weak little f**k” Nate Diaz
- Nate Diaz fires shots at Conor McGregor: “What happened…”
- TRT Vitor Belfort back? See the UFC legend’s crazy transformation!
“I’m happy with my performance against a veteran and former title challenger,” Rakic said after the fight. “Everybody underestimates my wrestling and my grappling. … The focus was a lot of pressure, make damage on the ground, (and) control.”
Former welterweight champion Robbie Lawler returned to action, facing divisional staple and dark horse Neil Magny. Despite being a fan favourite, Lawler found himself outclassed by Magny, who executed a near perfect gameplan, using his impressive reach to keep Lawler at a distance, and threatening with submissions whenever they got tied up on the ground. Magny advanced in the division with one of his biggest wins to date, securing a unanimous decision.
UFC on ESPN+ 33: Smith vs Rakic – Full results
- Aleksandar Rakic def. Anthony Smith via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
- Neil Magny def. Robbie Lawler via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Alexa Grasso def. Ji Yeon Kim via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Ricardo Lamas def. Bill Algeo via unanimous decision (29-27, 29-27, 29-27)
- Impa Kasanganay def. Maki Pitolo via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Zak Cummings def. Alessio Di Chirico via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Alex Caceres def. Austin Springer via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 3:38
- Sean Brady def. Christian Aguilera via technical submission (guillotine choke) – Round 2, 1:47
- Polyana Viana def. Emily Whitmire via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 1:53
- Mallory Martin def. Hannah Cifers via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 1:33