UFC 243 results: Israel Adesanya stays unbeaten, KNOCKS OUT Robert Whittaker!
The UFC returned to Melbourne, Australia with UFC 243 this weekend, taking place at the newly built Marvel Stadium. The main event saw a middleweight title unification bout between reigning champ Robert Whittaker, and interim title holder Israel Adesanya. Now the full results for UFC 243 are in the books. It was a high-stakes fight, and the biggest combat sports event in Oceanic history. Whittaker began well, and caught Adesanya with a flush straight punch. Adesanya countered, however, earning himself a second round knockout.
“He caught me with a nice one, but I returned,” Adesanya said. “I eat it, but give it back two times. That’s a two-piece right there. I can take it and give it back. He’s right; I hate to get hit. It’s stupid to get hit. I’m tough and smart. At the end of the day, my team and I were smart.”
Adesanya already knows what he feels is next; a bout with unbeaten, Brazilian knockout artist Paulo Costa.
- Colby Covington eyes bouts with “bum” Robert Whittaker & “sheep-lover” Khabib
- Jon Jones rips Israel Adesanya: “Will make you my absolute b*tch”
“You know who’s next,” Adesanya said. “I have a heavy Ricky Martin wannabe next. ‘Borrachinha.’ This is my octagon. I’m going to smash him. I want to rearrange his face.”
Results for the rest of UFC 243 can be found below.
Hooker dominates former title challenger
In the co-main event New Zeeland’s Dan Hooker took on American former title challenger Al Iaquinta. Hooker used his distance and leg kicks appropriately, even dropping Iaquinta in the second round. In the end, Hooker won a clear-cut unanimous decision after three full rounds.
Aside from that, hometown favourites had a tough time on the main card. Serghei Spivak submitted local favourite Tai Tuivasa in the second round, giving the Aussie his third straight loss. Brazil’s Dhiego Lima edged out two out of three rounds to win a decision over Luke Jumeau, and Yorgan De Castro knocked out Mark Hunt protegé Justin Tafa.
UFC 243 full results:
- Israel Adesanya def. Robert Whittaker via knockout (punches) — Round 2, 3:33
- Dan Hooker def. Al Iaquinta via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Serghei Spivac def. Tai Tuivasa via technical submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 2, 3:14
- Dhiego Lima def. Luke Jumeau via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Yorgan De Castro def. Justin Tafa via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 2:10
- Jake Matthews def. Rostem Akman via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Callan Potter def. Maki Pitolo via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Brad Riddell def. Jamie Mullarkey via unanimous decision (29-27, 30-26, 30-26)
- Megan Anderson def. Zarah Fairn via submission (triangle choke) – Round 1, 3:57
- Ji Yeon Kim def. Nadia Kassem via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 4:59
- Khalid Taha def. Bruno Silva via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 3, 3:00
Performance bonuses: Israel Adesanya, Yorgan de Castro. Fight of the night: Brad Riddell vs Jamie MullarkeyPlace your bets on UFC/MMA with Ohmbet - #1 Sportsbook for UFC and MMA betting