Nate Diaz gives clear answer about Conor McGregor trilogy fight!
Nate Diaz has his eyes set on putting an end to his rivalry with UFC star Conor McGregor, the only question is when?! Diaz (20-13 MMA, 15-11 UFC) and McGregor (22-6 MMA, 10-4 UFC) have already fought two times, participating in two of the most successful fights in UFC history, racking up close to TWO million PPV buys!
The first bout was put together after McGregor’s title bout against then-lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos was canceled due to an injury. Diaz accepted the fight against McGregor and the two UFC stars squared off in a welterweight main event bout at UFC 196 on March 5, 2016. Diaz shocked the MMA world when he submitted the brash Irishman in the second round, ending McGregor’s undefeated UFC streak.
A rematch was quickly booked for UFC 202 in August 2016, a bout that “The Notorious” McGregor won via split decision. Since then, there has been constant talk of putting an end to the rivalry with a rubber match, but fight is yet to be booked. In an interview with Inside Fighting, Diaz says that the superfight will happen and that it is only a matter of time!
“The timing’s not on right now,” Nate Diaz told Inside Fighting. “We’ll worry about that later. It’s for sure going to happen at some point. … Yeah, at some point. He needs to get back on what he’s got to do, whatever that is. It’s like, when we match up, we’re going to match up. But we ain’t going nowhere.”
Diaz is in a very interesting place in his career. This weekend, he will take on rising UFC talent Khamzat Chimaev in the main event at UFC 279. The welterweight bout will mark Diaz’s final bout on his UFC contract, which means that he will be free after this weekend to explore other opportunities. Diaz recently announced that he is starting his own promotion: Real Fight Inc. According to Diaz, this weekend’s bout against Khamzat is the first fight that Real Fight Inc. will promote. Diaz feels disrespected by the UFC and that his soon-to-be former employer is setting him up.
“This fight right here that I’ve got coming up is brought to you by Real Fight Inc,” Nate Diaz said. “The UFC is obviously pushing their fighter ON me – not with me, but AGAINST me. So this is the first real fight event that we’ve got is right now, right here.”
- Conor McGregor and UFC stars react to Mark Zuckerberg’s MMA skills!
- UFC legend GSP shares his picks for the greatest fighters of all time!
- UFC middleweight shows off mangled finger: “It was consensual”