Dominick Reyes says “the UFC is on board”, but Jon Jones not up for rematch
Despite their first bout being being controversial and closely contested, apparently Jon Jones isn’t particularly interested in a rematch with Dominick Reyes.
The light heavyweights battled it out at UFC 247 earlier this year. Previously unbeaten Reyes was a clear underdog heading into the bout, but managed to push Jones in a way that the champ hadn’t been pushed in a long time. Many disagreed with the unanimous decision that Jones was awarded, feeling that Reyes won the first three rounds.
- Jon Jones BLASTS Dominick Reyes for strange comment: “Dumbest thing I’ve heard…”
- Jon Jones on Israel Adesanya: “I’m probably going to break his shoulder”
- Pros react to Jon Jones controversial UFC 247 win: “Embarrassing”
- Jon Jones open to rematch Dominick Reyes after controversial win
Many have wondered about a potential rematch, though Jan Blachowicz’ knockout win over Corey Anderson may have put the breaks on those plans. However Reyes says that the UFC have been positive towards a second bout with Jones – Though the reigning champion hasn’t.
“I know the UFC is on board,” Reyes told MMA Junkie. “I know I’m on board. The issue is Jon right now. He’s going to say he’s down online, obviously on Twitter. When he gets those contracts in front of him, he’s a little different. That’s where we’re at.”
Reyes, unsurprisingly, felt that he won the first fight. He’s been angling for a second bout with Jones since UFC 247, and the result of the first fight simply doesn’t sit right with Reyes.
“I feel like I was wronged on Feb. 8. I’m not OK with that. I’m not just living my life like, ‘Oh yeah. It’s cool. I got robbed. I’m not going to do anything about it. I want to rematch him. I want to fight him again with judges who are a little more competent.”