Amanda Nunes out of May 9th title defence vs Felicia Spencer
The UFC announced an event earlier this month, tentatively planned for May 9th. Things are already going awry, though, as featherweight champion Amanda Nunes is now out of her planned May 9th title defence against Felicia Spencer.
While hardly a surprise, the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic is the culprit here.
“Actually, I’m not fighting May 9th, I’m going to fight but I don’t know yet,” Amanda Nunes told CBS Sports’ Brian Campbell. “I don’t think this is the right time for me right now to fight. Let this Coronavirus pass a little bit so I can at least have a full camp. We can maybe see around June but let’s see what is going to happen. But I’m not fighting May 9.”
OTHER NEWS STORIES:
- UFC Fight Island RUMOURED to have been owned by Jeffrey Epstein
- Conor McGregor warns Tony Ferguson – Then deletes tweet!
- Michael Bisping nearly went blind after final UFC loss
- The UFC officially has a fighter who tested positive for coronavirus
Obviously the ongoing circumstances make it hard for fighters to train as they are used to, with limited or no training partners. Nunes says that she simply wants a proper training camp, which she feels she hasn’t been able to receive.
“The gym opened just for people that has fights coming up. It’s not many people, just me and a couple guys that are going to be on the same card as me. We all have separate training with just me and my coach, one on one.”
This was to be Nunes’ first featherweight title defence since knocking out Cris “Cyborg” Justinho at UFC 232. The division currently lacks the numbers to fill out women’s featherweight, and there are no current rankings. Spencer holds a 2-1 record in the UFC with both wins coming via first round finish. Nunes was eager to test her skills against an opponent like Spencer, but simply wants to wait for better circumstances.