UFC Vegas results: Alistair Overeem rallies to earn late TKO win
The UFC continued the ongoing schedule with UFC on ESPN+ 34 this weekend, a card unfortunately stricken by cancelled fights due to Covid-19. Alistair Overeem and Augusto Sakai med in the heavyweight headliner, and now the full UFC results are in.
Young gun Sakai pushed the pace early on, forcing Overeem to cover up with a high guard, then returning fire as they clinched up. Overeem landed many of his best shots in the clinch, but was eating everything that Sakai threw at him as well. The stand up was relatively even with Sakai being more of the aggressor for most of the bout.
In the fourth round, Overeem landed a take down and began raining down punches and elbows, getting close to finishing the fight. Early on in the fifth Overeem once again established top position, and once again dealing out heavy ground and pound, until referee Herb Dean stopped the fight.
“Augusto is a tough guy, and an up-and-comer. We kind of knew that he’d take the punishment,” Overeem said in his post-fight interview. “But we did it, at 40 years of age.”
OTHER MMA NEWS:
- Gina Carano breaks the internet – With now-deleted nude pictures!
- You won’t believe how these UFC stars looked when young!
- Mike Perry SLAMS “skinny, weak little f**k” Nate Diaz
- Nate Diaz fires shots at Conor McGregor: “What happened…”
- TRT Vitor Belfort back? See the UFC legend’s crazy transformation!
The co-main event saw light heavyweights Ovince Saint Preux and Alonzo Menifield collide. While Menifield seemed to be throwing the harder shots, he had trouble finding his distance, and Saint Preux’s range was an issue. Eventually while backing up, Saint Preux connected with a left hand that sent Menifield crashing to the canvas.
Michel Pereira would utterly dominate Zelim Imadaev for nearly three full rounds. While he was unquestionably ahead on the judges scorecards, he slapped on a late rear naked choke that Imadaev didn’t seem to tap to, though the referee still stopped the fight, however there was no mystery as to who was winning.
UFC on ESPN+ 34: Overeem vs Sakai results
- Alistair Overeem def. Augusto Sakai via TKO (punches) — Round 5, 0:26
- Ovince Saint Preux def. Alonzo Menifield via knockout (punch) – Round 2, 4:07
- Michel Pereira def. Zelim Imadaev via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 3, 4:39
- Andre Muniz Bartosz Fabinski vs. via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 2:42
- Brian Kelleher def. Ray Rodriguez via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 0:39
- Viviane Araujo def. Montana De La Rosa via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Hunter Azure def. Cole Smith via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Fight of the Night: No bonus awarded.
- Performance of the Night: Ovince Saint Preux, Michel Pereira, André Muniz and Brian Kelleher