UFC on ESPN+ 31 results: Derek Brunson hands Edmen Shahbazyan first loss
The UFC returned to Las Vegas for UFC on ESPN+ 31 this weekend, and now the full results are in as Derek Brunson has become the first to hand middleweight prospect Edmen Shahbazyan his first loss. The two headlined the event, with Shahbazyan having the potential to break into title contention.
While the first round went relatively well for the young talent, Brunson scored a takedown in the second round and proceeded to land hellacious ground and pound. Shahbazyan was badly hurt, and on the verge of being finished just when the round ended. The cage side doctor examined Shahbazyan, and deemed him ok to continue fighting. Brunson then proceeded to steamroll his opponent, winning via TKO early in the third round.
UFC president Dana White was clearly displeased with Shahbazyan being cleared to enter the third round, calling the cage side doctor “inexperienced”.
“Shahbazyan looked like he was out at the end of that round,” White told media at the post-fight news conference. “I think that the doctor could have stopped … first of all, the doctor’s obviously inexperienced. I don’t know anything about the doctor, but I’ve never seen him before.”
OTHER MMA NEWS:
- Gina Carano breaks the internet – With now-deleted nude pictures!
- You won’t believe how these UFC stars looked when young!
- Mike Perry SLAMS “skinny, weak little f**k” Nate Diaz
- Nate Diaz fires shots at Conor McGregor: “What happened…”
- TRT Vitor Belfort back? See the UFC legend’s crazy transformation!
Joanne Calderwood, who had previously been granted a title shot against flyweight champion Valentina Shevchenko, faced Brazilian Jennifer Maia in the co-main event. Taking that fight may have been a mistake, however, as Scotland’s Calderwood was taken down and submitted at the end of the very first round. Weltwerweight standout Vicente Luque also extended his win streak to two victories, after finishing Randy Brown via strikes in the second round.
UFC on ESPN+ 31: Brunson vs Shahbazyan results
- Derek Brunson def. Edmen Shahbazyan via TKO (punches) — Round 3, 0:26
- Jennifer Maia def. Joanne Calderwood via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 4:29
- Vicente Luque def. Randy Brown via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 4:56
- Bobby Green def. Lando Vannata via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
- Jonathan Martinez def. Frankie Saenz via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 0:57
- Nate Maness def. Johnny Munoz via unanimous decision (29-27, 29-27, 29-27)
- Jamall Emmers def. Vincent Cachero via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Chris Gutierrez vs. Cody Durden ends in a unanimous draw (28-28, 28-28, 28-28)
Be sure to subscribe to out YouTube channel for more premium MMA content!