UFC on ESPN 8 results: Alistair Overeem TKO’s Walt Harris in wild battle
The dust has settled on UFC on ESPN 8: Overeem vs Harris, and the full results are now in for the event.
The final UFC event in eight days went down last night in Jacksonville, Florida. The UFC managed to secure the VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena for three events, despite the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. UFC on ESPN 8, the third event, featured a heavyweight headliner between Alistair Overeem and Walt Harris, now the full results are in.
The main event was a wild one, with both fighters connecting. Harris was first to score a knockdown, but Overeem survived, got to his feet, and then secured a take down. The first round ended with Overeem on top, but he second continued with the same ferocity. With a well-placed head kick, Overeem sent his opponent crashing to the ground, and finished up with ground strikes to end the bout.
- UFC on ESPN+ 29 results: Glover Teixeira TKO’s Anthony Smith
- UFC boss Dana White pleads for Mike Tyson not to fight: “Please don’t…”
- Justin Gaethje responds to Conor McGregor: ‘It’s ironic that…’
- Jon Jones sends Francis Ngannou cocky response – heavyweight debut next?
“Somehow, I keep finding the focus. I love it,” Overeem said in his post-fight interview with Paul Felder. “Let’s look at the rankings, fight again later this year and maybe see if there’s one more shot at the title.”
The co-main event saw strawweight standouts Claudia Gadelha and Angela Hill throw down. It was a close fight, with Gadelha winning the first, Hill the second and the third being very competitive. In the end Gadelha managed to win a close split decision, calling out former champ Carla Esparza.
Dan Ige also spoiled Edson Barboza’s featherweight debut, winning via split decision, and Krzysztof Jotko edged out Eryk Anders, winning on the judges scorecards.
UFC on ESPN 8: Overeem vs Harris – full results:
- Alistair Overeem def. Walt Harris via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 3:00
- Claudia Gadelha def. Angela Hill via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Dan Ige def. Edson Barboza via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Krzysztof Jotko def. Eryk Anders via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Song Yadong def. Marlon Vera via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Miguel Baeza def. Matt Brown via knockout (punches) – Round 2, 0:18
- Kevin Holland def. Anthony Hernandez via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 0:39
- Giga Chikadze def. Irwin Rivera via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
- Nate Landwehr def. Darren Elkins via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Cortney Casey def. Mara Romero Borella via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 3:36
- Rodrigo Nascimento def. Don’Tale Mayes via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 2:05