UFC on ESPN 3: Francis Ngannous starches “JDS” in 71 seconds – calls for title shot
UFC on ESPN 3 took place in Minneapolis tonight, and it was a memorable event with multiple stories that came out of it. In the main event highly ranked heavyweights Francis Ngannou and Junior dos Santos met in an exciting match up with title implications. The fight only lasted 71 seconds, however, the time required for Ngannou to capitalise on an over extension from dos Santos.
After the spectacular finish Ngannou made his desires clear: “I think the only thing left now is the winner of Stipe and DC,” Ngannou said. “I want the title shot bad.”
Flyweight Joseph Benavidez beat Jussier Formiga a second time, once more via TKO, and cemented his place at the top of the division. Benavidez also staked his claim on a title shot against current champ Henry Cejudo.
- Francis Ngannou def. Junior Dos Santos by TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:11
- Joseph Benavidez def. Jussier Formiga via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 4:47
- Demian Maia def. Anthony Rocco Martin by split decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-28)
- Vinc Pichel def. Roosevelt Roberts by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Drew Dober def. Marco Polo Reyes via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:07
- Alonzo Menifield def. Paul Craig via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 3:19
- Ricardo Ramos def. Journey Newson via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Eryk Anders def. Vinicius Moreira via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 1:18
- Jared Gordon def. Dan Moret via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Dalcha Lungiambula def. Dequan Townsend via TKO (punches) – Round 3, 0:42
- Amanda Ribas def. Emily Whitmire via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 2:10
- Maurice Greene def. Junior Albini via TKO (punches), Round 1 3:38