UFC 254 results: Khabib submits Justin Gaethje – Then retires from MMA
The results from UFC 254 are now in, and the event delivered it’s fare share of surprises as UFC light heavyweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov retires following his latest win.
Nurmagomedov faced interim champ Justin Gaethje, who had drawn much traction heading into the bout after revamping his fighting style and winning four straight fights via T/KO. The lightweight title unification proved to be a one-sided affair, however, as Nurmagomedov’s pressure piled on and he began scoring takedowns. In the second round Nurmagomedov managed to take down a visibly tired Gaethje. The reigning champion then locked up a triangle choke, and while Gaethje tapped the referee did not step in quick enough before the challenger passed out.
RELATED MMA NEWS
- Video: Conor McGregor lights up huge joint in response to sports star
- Dana White shoots down Conor McGregor vs Manny Pacquiao: “Sh*t”
- Conor McGregor praises Khabib’s father following tragic death
- Khabib takes aim at Conor McGregor in new diss: “For the fans”
- Conor McGregor makes Mike Tyson an unexpected promise
Nurmagomedov’s father died earlier this year due to complications from Covid-19, as a parent, coach and friend it took a heavy toll on the lightweight champion. The Dagestani announced his retirement from MMA after securing his 29th straight win.
"This is my last fight."@TeamKhabib pays his respects following a dominant performance at #UFC254 pic.twitter.com/5HiUvJXBJC
— UFC (@ufc) October 24, 2020
“It was my last fight here. I know only one thing I want for UFC — you guys have to put me No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world because I deserve it,” Nurmagomedov said. “Undisputed UFC light heavyweight champion, 13-0. … I think I deserve it.”
Former middleweight champ Robert Whittaker extended his winning streak to 2-0 after winning a decision over knockout artist Jared Cannonier, in a closely contested fight. While Cannonier was effective with leg kicks and a late flurry that shook his opponent, Whittaker was one step ahead in most of the striking.
UFC 254 results: Khabib Nurmagomedov retires after title defence
- UFC 254 card and results Khabib Nurmagomedov (c) def. Justin Gaethje second-round submission (triangle choke)
- Robert Whittaker def. Jared Cannonier via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Alexander Volkov def. Walt Harris via second-round TKO (kick, punches)
- Phillip Hawes def. Jacob Malkoun via first-round TKO (punches)
- Lauren Murphy def. Liliya Shakirova via second-round submission (rear-naked choke)
- Magomed Ankalaev def. Ion Cutelaba via first-round TKO (punches)
- Tai Tuivasa def. Stefan Struve via first-round TKO (punches)
- Casey Kenney def. Nathaniel Wood via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Shavkat Rakhmonov def. Alex Oliveira via first-round submission (guillotine choke)
- Da-Un Jung vs. Sam Alvey fight to split draw (29-28, 28-29, 28-28)
- Miranda Maverick def. Liana Jojua via first-round TKO (doctor stoppage) Joel Alvarez def. Alexander Yakovlev via first-round submission (armbar)