Ronaldo Jacare Souza tests positive for corona – after weigh-ins and faceoff
UFC 249 has taken a major hit after it was confirmed that middleweight contender Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza had tested positive for coronavirus. Jacare was slated to take on Uriah Hall on the UFC 249 prelims, but has now been removed entirely from the event.
According to the UFC, the event will continue forward as planned as they have received clearance from the Florida State Athletic Commission. It does however cast a shadow over an already controversial event.
In an initial report from ESPN, “Jacare” informed the UFC that a family member had tested positive, something that prompted the organization to take necessary precautions. The 40-year-old Brazilian was tested and isolated, but still weighed in and participated in the faceoffs.
In both weigh-in and faceoffs, “Jacare” can be seen with both mask and gloves, and stood several feet from both UFC President Dana White and his opponent “Primetime” Hall. The rest of the fighters on UFC 249 have been tested for corona and no-one else has tested positive.
Check out the full weigh-in and faceoffs in the video below.
More UFC 249 MMA news:
- The new trailer for UFC 249 will give you goosebumps!
- Francis Ngannou reveals MONSTER PHYSIQUE ahead of UFC return
- Boxing promotor Bob Arum lashes out at Dana White: “Very little respect”
Place a bet on UFC 249
During this time of uncertainty, the sporting world, specifically combat sports, needs something like UFC 249 to distract them from all that’s happening. Despite a number of raised eyebrows, the UFC went ahead and produced what appears to be a PPV fight card for the ages, so here’s to top-to-bottom exciting action and a handful of hours worth of much-need escapism.
Register at Bet365 for exclusive bonuses and betting offers! Place your bets ahead of this weekend’s UFC 249. Up to £100 in Bet Credits. New customers only. Min deposit £5. Bet Credits available for use upon settlement of bets to value of qualifying deposit. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and T&Cs apply.
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
- Tony Ferguson (155) vs. Justin Gaethje (155) – for interim lightweight title
- Champ Henry Cejudo (135) vs. Dominick Cruz (135) – for bantamweight title
- Francis Ngannou (261.5) vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik (260)
- Calvin Kattar (146) vs. Jeremy Stephens (150.5*)
- Yorgan De Castro (262) vs. Greg Hardy (265.5)
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN, ESPN+, 6:30 p.m. ET)
- Donald Cerrone (171) vs. Anthony Pettis (170.5)
- Aleksei Oleinik (227.5) vs. Fabricio Werdum (243)
- Carla Esparza (115.5) vs. Michelle Waterson (115)
Uriah Hall (186) vs. Ronaldo Souza (186)
- Vicente Luque (170) vs. Niko Price (170.5)
- Bryce Mitchell (145.5) vs. Charles Rosa (146)
- Sam Alvey (205) vs. Ryan Spann (206)
* Stephens missed weight and will be fined 20% of his purse.