Dana White Shoots Down Rumored McGregor vs. Mayweather Rematch Under Modified Rules
No elbows. No kicks. No takedowns. No knees.
Those were just a few of the rules outlined in a recent report that stated the UFC was nearing a deal for Floyd Mayweather to face Conor McGregor inside the Octagon.
As the story goes, Mayweather would wear four ounce gloves to face McGregor in the UFC but by all accounts they would basically be competing under boxing rules minus some allowances for strikes in the clinch.
It always sounded far-fetched that the UFC would sign off on anything like that even for a lucrative rematch between Mayweather and McGregor. Now UFC president Dana White has not only shot down the report but he did so in rather fiery fashion.
“None of that is even close to true. Dumbest s–t I have ever heard,” White wrote on Twitter when asked about that rumored fight.
None of that is even close to true. Dumbest shit i have ever heard.
— Dana White (@danawhite) April 10, 2018
White has previously confirmed that he’s held talks with Mayweather about the possibility of him crossing over to compete in the UFC.
The retired boxer said this past weekend that if he competes again it would only be inside the Octagon, which only further fueled rumors about a possible rematch with McGregor after their boxing match ended up as the second biggest pay-per-view in history.
That said, if Mayweather is truly contemplating a fight in the UFC, he’ll need to be ready for everything including kicks, elbows and takedowns.Place your bets on UFC/MMA with Ohmbet - #1 Sportsbook for UFC and MMA betting