UFC Brasilia weigh in results: Kevin Lee misses weight for main event
The official weigh ins for UFC Brasilia recently wrapped up, and main event fighter Kevin Lee misses weight ahead of his battle with Charles Oliveira.
UFC Brasilia is starting off with a stroke of bad luck. Yesterday it was announced that neither fans or media will be allowed to the event as it is will now go down behind closed doors. Today Kevin Lee, one half of the main event, missed weight, coming in at 158.5, 2.5 lbs over the allowed limit. While Lee did want to continue cutting weight, the Brazilian commission elected not to let him continue. The tense circumstances with the event being affected by the Corona virus, probably played a part in the decision-making. This is the second time Lee has missed weight for a UFC bout.
Other news stories:
- BREAKING: Corona virus spread might cancel KSW 53
- Video: YouTuber Logan Paul gets knocked out COLD – by UFC fighter Paulo Costa
- Khabib Nurmagomedov gives unexpected support to rival Tony Ferguson
- Tragedy strikes – Floyd Mayweather’s ex, and mother to 3 children, found dead
Lee faces hometown hero Charles Oliveira, who sits on a fantastic six fight winning streak. What makes his current run even more impressive is that he has finished every single opponent, most recently Jared Gordon. Lee returns from a stellar first round KO over previously unbeaten Gregor Gillespie at UFC 244. Oliveira, along with all other fighters on the card, made weight.
Other interesting bouts on the card include a battle of Brazilians as Gilbert Burns takes on Demian Maia in the co-main event. This is a huge opportunity for Burns, who’s UFC career has been revitalised since moving back to welterweight. Dane-Bosnian Damir Hadzovic also has the tough task of welcoming Renato Moicano to the lightweight division, and light heavyweight prospect Johnny Walker faces Nikita Krylov.
MAIN CARD (ESPN, ESPN+, 6 p.m. ET)
- Kevin Lee (158.5)* vs. Charles Oliveira (156)
- Gilbert Burns (170.5) vs. Demian Maia (170.5)
- Damir Hadzovic (155) vs. Renato Moicano (155.5)
- Nikita Krylov (206) vs. Johnny Walker (206)
- John Makdessi (155) vs. Francisco Trinaldo (156)
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN, ESPN+, 3 p.m. ET)
- Jussier Formiga (126) vs. Brandon Moreno (126)
- Randa Markos (116) vs. Amanda Ribas (115.5)
- Aleksei Kunchenko (170) vs. Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos (171)
- Enrique Barzola (136) vs. Rani Yahya (136)
- Maryna Moroz (126) vs. Mayra Bueno Silva (126)
- David Dvorak (126) vs. Bruno Silva (125.5)
- Veronica Macedo (135.5) vs. Bea Malecki (136)
* – Lee fined 20 percent of his purse, but the bout will go on as scheduled