Zabit Magomedsharipov booked for co-main event slot at UFC Boston
Zabit Magomedsharipov (17-1) is back! ESPN recently announced a featherweight bout between the impressive prospect-turned-contender Magomedsharipov, and the rising talent Calvin Kattar (20-3). MMA Junkie have also confirmed the bout with sources close to the situation. The bout is set for UFC on ESPN 6, also known as UFC Boston, October 18 at TD Garden.
- Ben Askren’s comeback fight expected to be announced this week
- Report: Johnny Walker returns at UFC 244 in New York
- Video: Pros react to Askren’s brutal KO loss, Jones’ close win
- UFC release Cris Cyborg from contract: “We’re out of the Cyborg business.”
- Swedish prospect Guram Kutateladze signs exclusive, multi fight deal with BRAVE
The next Russian UFC champion?
Magomedsharipov, who is undefeated in the UFC, has been hailed by many as a soon-to-be potential title contender. As of now he has five straight wins in the octagon. He submitted Mike Santiago in his UFC debut, and followed up with an anaconda choke victory over Sheymon Moraes. After two additional wins, he was put up against long time veteran Jeremy Stephens at UFC 235 – and won by clear-cut unanimous decision.
Kattar made his UFC debut in 2017, beating both Andre Fili and Shane Burgos. He was then matched up with highly-ranked Renato Moicano, and while losing a unanimous decision he put in a solid effort. Since then Kattar has bounced back with two wins, both secured via strikes. First he finished Chris Fishgold and most recently knocked out Ricardo Lamas.
The current fight card as it stands can be seen below.
- Light heavyweight: Dominick Reyes vs. Chris Weidman
- Featherweight: Calvin Kattar vs. Zabit Magomedsharipov
- Women’s flyweight: Maycee Barber vs. Gillian Robertson
- Middleweight: Brendan Allen vs. Eric Spicely