UFC on ESPN+ 30 results: Figueiredo earns flyweight title, Hermansson wins big
The third event scheduled for UFC Fight Island took place this weekend, now the full results for UFC on ESPN 30+ are in.
Flyweights Deiveison Figuereido and Joseph Benavidez met in a rematch for the flyweight title that capped off the event. The two had met in February of this year, with Figuereido winning the fight but not the vacant title on account of missing weight. There was no such issue the second time around, as the Brazilian Figuereido dominated the fight from the opening bell, being a step ahead the veteran. Eventually Figuereido managed to secure a rear naked choke, earning a technical submission win – and the UFC flyweight title.
“I feel really good. I worked really hard for this,” Figueiredo said through a translator duding his post-fight interview. “I knew my time would come, and this is my time. I am going to be an active champion.”
The loss was devastating for Benavidez, who has now challenged for the UFC flyweight title four times – Losing every single time, all but one via finish.
“I’ve died freaking 100 times,” Benavidez told MMA Junkie. “What’s another death? It’s different because I know I did everything right in preparation. I didn’t take any shortcuts. I did everything right. … I felt good in there, honestly. I felt focused and present even with the no crowd. Fights go fast but I could see little movements felt focused.”
OTHER MMA NEWS:
- Gina Carano breaks the internet – With now-deleted nude pictures!
- You won’t believe how these UFC stars looked when young!
- Mike Perry SLAMS “skinny, weak little f**k” Nate Diaz
- Nate Diaz fires shots at Conor McGregor: “What happened…”
- TRT Vitor Belfort back? See the UFC legend’s crazy transformation!
Middleweights Kelvin Gastelum and Jack Hermansson met in the co-main event, which would prove to be short as well. Gastelum began by putting heavy pressure on his opponent, eventually getting a take down and securing top position. The submission-savvy Hermansson rolled for a heel hook, however, securing the submission and returning to the win column.
Following the victory the Swede was certain as to who he wanted to face next: The winner of Robert Whittaker vs Darren Till.
“I should fight the winner of that fight,” Hermansson said. “I’m going to fight the winner of the fight.”
In other results, Rafael Fiziev defeated British striker Marc Diakiese in an exciting contest, and Ariane Lipski submitted Luana Carolina via a brutal, first rounn kneebar.
UFC on ESPN+ Full results:
- Deiveson Figueiredo def. Joseph Benavidez via technical submission (rear-naked choke) — Round 1, 4:48
- Jack Hermansson def. Kelvin Gastelum via submission (heel hook) – Round 1, 1:18
- Rafael Fiziev def. Marc Diakiese via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Ariane Lipski def. Luana Carolina via submission (kneebar) – Round 1, 1:28
- Askar Askarov def. Alexandre Pantoja via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Roman Dolidze def. Khadis Ibragimov via TKO (knee, punches) – Round 1, 4:15
- Grant Dawson def. Nad Narimani via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 29-27)
- Joel Alvarez def. Joe Duffy via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 2:25
- Brett Johns def. Montel Jackson via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Amir Albazi def. Malcolm Gordon via submission (triangle choke) – Round 1, 4:42
- Arman Tsarukyan def. Davi Ramos via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Serghei Spivac def. Carlos Felipe via majority decision (28-28, 29-27, 29-27)