UFC on ESPN 13 results: Calvin Kattar nears title shot with dominant win
After that UFC 251 paved the way for Fight Island in Abu Dhabi, the events now keep on rolling. UFC on ESPN 13 was next up on the UFC’s schedule, and the full results are now in.
Featherweights Calvin Kattar and Dan Ige faced off in the main event that would put the winner all more closer to a shot at the title. Kattar set a tough pace, picking Ige apart early. However, Ige would rally in the second, landing hard shots that broke Kattar’s nose. Despite that, Kattar would slowly get himself back into the fight, re-establishing his jab, and landing hard combinations on a flustered Ige.
In the end, Kattar would win a clear-cut decision, has now won two straight, and four out of his last five. The lone loss is via decision to Zabit Magomedsharipov, and Kattar has dispatched the likes of Jeremy Stephens and Ricardo Lamas.
“Dan’s a tough kid,” Kattar said. “I think I’m stronger than these guys mentally, and show it. I think it’s tough not to get damage in a fight with my style, but credit to Dan – he’s a tough kid.”
Ige was gracious in defeat, praising his opponent.
“Calvin is one of the best in the world,” Ige said. “(I) just got out there and test myself and test my will. He’s super slick, man.”
OTHER MMA NEWS:
- Gina Carano breaks the internet – With now-deleted nude pictures!
- You won’t believe how these UFC stars looked when young!
- Mike Perry SLAMS “skinny, weak little f**k” Nate Diaz
- Nate Diaz fires shots at Conor McGregor: “What happened…”
- TRT Vitor Belfort back? See the UFC legend’s crazy transformation!
Former flyweight title challenger Tim Elliot defeated Ryan Benoit via unanimous decision in the co-main event, snapping a three fight skid in the promotion. Jimmie Rivera also returned to the win column following a one-sided loss to current bantamweight champ Petr Yan last year, winning a decision over Cody Stamann. Swedish prospect Khamzat Chimaev, hailed by Alexander Gustafsson as the future of Swedish MMA, dominated John Phillips in his debut, submitting the Welshman in the second round.
The full results for UFC on ESPN 13 can be found below.
UFC on ESPN 13 results
- Calvin Kattar def. Dan Ige via unanimous decision (49-46, 49-46, 48-47)
- Tim Elliott def. Ryan Benoit via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Jimmie Rivera def. Cody Stamann via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Taila Santos def. Molly McCann via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Mounir Lazzez def. Abdul Razak Alhassan via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Khamzat Chimaev def. John Phillips via submission (D’Arce choke) – Round 2, 1:12
- Lerone Murphy def. Ricardo Ramos via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4:18
- Modestas Bukauskas def. Andreas Michailidis via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 5:00
- Jared Gordon def. Chris Fishgold via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Liana Jojua def. Diana Belbita via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 2:43
- Jack Shore def. Aaron Phillips via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 2:29