UFC Norfolk results: Brutal KO leaves flyweight division without champion
Despite a title fight now in the books, the UFC flyweight division still stands without a champion, now the full results for UFC Norfolk are in.
Divisional staples Joseph Benavidez and Deiveson Figureido were set to compete for the vacant flyweight title in the main event at UFC Norfolk. However Brazilian Figureido missed weight by 2.5 lbs, leaving him ineligible to win the title. While Benavidez had a strong showing in the opening round, recovering from adversity early, it would not last. In the second round the two accidentally butted heads, opening a cut on Benavidez face. Not long after Figureido landed a vicious right hand, dropping Benavidez, and then finished the fight with strikes. As only Benavidez was eligible to win the title, the fight ended without a new flyweight champion.
“I am sorry for missing weight, but I told everybody I want to give a big show because you guys deserve a big main event,” Figueiredo said via an interpreter.
Other news stories:
- Manny Pacquiao signs with Conor McGregor’s management
- Darren Till having issues ahead of UFC 248 – Reaches out to Donald Trump
- Khabib Nurmagomedov will only fight “scumbag” McGregor in the streets
- Tyson Fury finishes Deontay Wilder – After licking his blood
The co-main event saw Canadian featherweight Felicia Spencer bulldoze Zarah Fairn, getting an early takedown and following up with ground strikes that spelled an end to the fight. The light heavyweight battle between Ion Cutelaba and Magomed Ankalaev ended in controversy. Ankalaev landed a heavy head kick that rocked Cutelaba, but despite the latter remaining on his feet and firing back shots, the referee stopped the fight. Australian Megan Anderson also made a case for a featherweight title shot, earning a first round KO over Norma Dumont.
UFC Norfolk full results
- Deiveson Figueiredo def. Joseph Benavidez via knockout (punches) – Round 2, 1:54
- Felicia Spencer def. Zarah Fairn via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 3:37
- Magomed Ankalaev def. Ion Cutelaba via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 0:38
- Megan Anderson def. Norma Dumont via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 3:31
- Grant Dawson def. Darrick Minner via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 1:38
- Kyler Phillips def. Gabriel Silva via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Brendan Allen def. Tom Breese via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 4:47
- Marcin Tybura def. Serghei Spivac via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Luis Pena def. Steve Garcia via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Jordan Griffin def. TJ Brown via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 2, 3:38
- Spike Carlyle def. Aalon Cruz via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:25
- Sean Brady def. Ismail Naurdiev via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)