UFC 255 results: Flyweight champs stay dominant, retain titles
The results are in and decisions rendered as UFC 255 went down this weekend in Las Vegas, Nevada. Flyweight champions Deiveson Figureido and Valentina Shevchenko were both slated to make title defences and both dominant champions retained their titles when all was said and done.
Figureido made short work of title challenger Alex Perez, submitting him in less than two minutes of the first round following an intense striking exchange. Flyweight contender Brandon Moreno, who also secured a first round finish on the preliminary card, is now slated to challenge for the title at UFC 256 next month.
Flyweight queen Shevchenko took a more measured approach in her title defence against Brazilian grappler Jennifer Maia. Despite Maia winning the second round through top control, Shevchenko dominated the rest of the fight through striking and grappling, winning a clear-cut decision.
RELATED MMA NEWS
- Video: Conor McGregor lights up huge joint in response to sports star
- Dana White shoots down Conor McGregor vs Manny Pacquiao: “Sh*t”
- Conor McGregor praises Khabib’s father following tragic death
- Khabib takes aim at Conor McGregor in new diss: “For the fans”
- Conor McGregor makes Mike Tyson an unexpected promise
Following the win, Shevchenko was open to a potential bout with Jessica Andrade or Lauren Murphy.
“I don’t choose my opponents,” Shevchenko said. “Whoever will be in front of me (is) who I’m going to face. For me, it doesn’t (make) any difference – Andrade or someone else, someone else, or whoever. I think it would be fair to have Andrade vs. Lauren Murphy because Lauren Murphy showed her strengths and has a lot of wins – like, straight wins.
“But the question (is) if I want to wait that much. I don’t want to wait that much because I was waiting a lot already and I’m not agreeing to wait more (for) their fight (to happen) and (for when) they have to recover. It’s going to be a few months from here. I’m ready to go back to the octagon as soon as I feel good and I feel good.”
In other noteworthy bouts, Tim Means edged out a game Mike Perry, and Paul Craig TKO’d Mauricio “Shogun” Rua in their rematch.
UFC 255 full results
- Deiveson Figueiredo def. Alex Perez via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 1:57
- Valentina Shevchenko def. Jennifer Maia via unanimous decision (49-46, 49-46, 49-46)
- Tim Means def. Mike Perry via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Katlyn Chookagian def. Cynthia Calvillo via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Paul Craig def. Mauricio Rua via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 3:36
- Brandon Moreno def. Brandon Royval via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4:59
- Joaquin Buckley def. Jordan Wright via knockout (punches) – Round 2, 0:18
- Antonina Shevchenko def. Ariane Lipski via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 4:33
- Nicolas Dalby def. Daniel Rodriguez via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Alan Jouban def. Jared Gooden via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Kyle Daukaus def. Dustin Stoltzfus via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Sasha Palatnikov def. Louis Cosce via TKO (punches) – Round 3, 2:27