UFC 244 results: Main event ends in controversial stoppage
UFC 244 is ongoing at Madison Square Garden, where Stockton’s own Nate Diaz took on Jorge Masvidal. The BMF title was on the line and it was one of the years most anticipated fights Diaz beat Anthony Pettis just three months ago, and he has victories over Conor McGregor and Michael Johnson. Masvidal has had an impressive 2019 record. In the beginning of this year he knocked out Darren Till in the UK, and he just recently he KO’ed Ben Askren in less than five seconds with a flying knee.
The fight started off at a high pace, with Diaz pressing forward and Masvidal slowly taking over, dropping his opponent in the first. The fight stayed competitive, though Masvidal had an edge in most aspects. Diaz was hurt several times, but was never out of the fight. He was however opened up early in the first round by a punch and head kick, and those cuts eventually led to the fight doctor stopping the match between the third and fourth round. Masvidal won the BMF title via TKO due to doctor stoppage, and both men now want a rematch later next year.
See the full results for the event below.
- BMF title fight: #3 Jorge Masvidal def. #7 Nate Diaz via TKO (doctor stoppage), round 3, 5:00
- Middleweight: (#10 WW) Darren Till def. #4 Kelvin Gastelum via split decision (27-30, 29-28, 30-27)
- Welterweight: #9 Stephen Thompson def. #14 Vincente Luque via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 29-27)
- Heavyweight: #5 Derrick Lewis def. #8 Blagoy Ivanov via split decision (30-27, 28-29, 29-28)
- Lightweight: #10 Kevin Lee def. #11 Gregor Gillespie via KO (head kick), round 1, 2:47
- Light heavyweight: #7 Corey Anderson def. #11 Johnny Walker via TKO (punches), round 1,
- Featherweight: #12 Shane Burgos def. Makwan Amirkhani via TKO (punches), round 3, 4:32
- Middleweight: #13 Edmen Shahbazyan def. #11 Brad Tavares via KO (head kick), round 1, 2:27
- Heavyweight: Jairzinho Rozenstruik def. Andrei Arlovski via KO (punch), round 1, 0:29
- Women’s flyweight: #1 Katlyn Chookagian def. #5 Jennifer Maia via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Welterweight: Lyman Good def. Chance Rencountre via TKO (punch), round 3, 2.23
- Featherweight: Hakeem Dawodu def. Julio Arce via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)