UFC 239 results: Jones wins split decision, Nunes KO’s Holm
International Fight Week is over and UFC 239 has come to an end after several entertaining bouts.
In the main event reigning light heavyweight champion Jon Jones took a measured approach against hard hitting Brazilian Thiago Santos, and picked up a split decision victory after five full rounds.
“Oh my goodness, boy was he tough,” Jones said in his post-fight interview. “Thiago, we all know his best chance of winning this fight was by knockout. I played it smart, and I brought home the gold for my family and my team.“
Santos suffered a knee injury in the first round, affecting his movement, but he remained aggressive throughout the fight, making the end result that much more impressive for Santos.
Bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes needed just under a round to retain her title, after knocking former champion Holly Holm down with a head kick, and following up with ground and pound that ended the fight.
In addition, Jorge Masvidal set a new UFC record for fastest finish, knocking out rival Ben Askren with a brutal flying knee, Jan Blachowicz spoiled Luke Rockholds light heavyweight debut, finishing by second round knockout, and Michael Chiesa lined u his second straight win since entering the welterweight division, steamrolling Diego Sanchez over the coarse of three rounds.
Full results can be seen below.
- Jon Jones def. Thiago Santos via split decision (47-48, 48-47, 48-47)
- Amanda Nunes def. Holly Holm via TKO (head kick, punches) – Round 1, 4:10
- Jorge Masvidal def. Ben Askren via KO (flying knee) – Round 1, 0:05
- Jan Blachowicz def. Luke Rockhold KO (punches) – Round 2 1:39
- Michael Chiesa def. Diego Sanchez via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Arnold Allen def. Gilbert Melendez via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Marlon Vera def. Nohelin Hernandez via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 3:25
- Claudia Gadelha def. Randa Markos via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Song Yadong def. Alejandro Perez via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 2:04
- Edmen Shahbazyan def. Jack Marshman via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 1:12
- Chance Rencountre def. Ismail Naurdiev via unanimous decision (29-27, 29-28, 30-27)
- Julia Avila def. Pannie Kianzad via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-26, 30-26)