Rafael dos Anjos Targets Tyron Woodley Next, Wants Nothing to Do With Colby Covington

Rafael dos Anjos is focused on becoming a two-division UFC champion

Rafael dos Anjos has his sights set on becoming a two division UFC champion following his victory over Robbie Lawler on Saturday night at UFC on FOX 26.

Dos Anjos put on a masterful performance to beat Lawler over the course of five rounds before winning in a shut out on the judges’ scorecards.

Now dos Anjos is anxious to get the title shot promised to him by UFC president Dana White after he previously declared the winner of the fight would get the next crack at welterweight gold and champion Tyron Woodley.

Even if it might mean waiting for a few months thanks to Woodley’s upcoming shoulder surgery, dos Anjos is more than happy to rest and recover before fighting for the welterweight title in 2018.

“I just beat a former champion. Dana White said whoever wins the fight will fight for the belt,” dos Anjos said at the post fight press conference. “That was my third fight in six months. I’ve been in fight camp for the last six months. Just fight camp, straight. I need some time off, too. Time to go back home, get better and have like a little longer camp to prepare for a title fight.

“I hope he gets the surgery done because he was about to have the surgery to fight some other guy but he was about to fight [Nate] Diaz. So he says he don’t need surgery to fight one guy but he needs surgery to fight a different guy. I don’t get it but I’m willing to wait.”

With dos Anjos focused on Woodley and the welterweight title, he doesn’t have time to think about anybody else and that includes No. 3 ranked Colby Covington, who called him out on social media just after his fight ended.

Covington had called for a fight against dos Anjos earlier this year but didn’t get his wish so he took aim at the former lightweight champion with another post on Saturday night.

For his part, dos Anjos didn’t even want to address Covington after his win, instead taking a shot at the outspoken welterweight contender and then shutting the door on any possible fight between them.

“I have no comments about that guy,” dos Anjos said about Covington. “That guy has 6,000 followers on Twitter. He’s just talking crap about people and he’s showed nothing on the division. He beat nobody. He beat Demian Maia but Demian Maia looked really bad when he fought Demian and I have no comments on that guy.”

Covington then responded with another post aimed at dos Anjos on Sunday.

Comments

comments

ExclusiveRafael dos Anjosz-Latest news