UFC vet Reza Madadi returns for politically charged main event
Swedish-Iranian former UFC fighter Reza Madadi is back! Madadi retired in May this year, citing a desire to focus on coaching. That was also after that he was cut from the UFC, and a bout in ACB fell through after that the promotion cancelled their debut event in Sweden. According to sources to MMAnytt Madadi will now make his return to combat sports, in the Swedish promotion AK Fighting Championship. Madadi will compete in a no-gi grappling bout against Israeli Moshe Ben Shimol. The event takes place at Solnahallen in Stockholm, November 16th.
Politically charged main event
Iranian-born Madadi facing Israeli Mollaei is no coincidence. The booking is a direct result of strained relations between Iran and Israel. In the latest world championships in judo, Iranian competitor Saeid Mollaei was ordered by the Iranian government to pull out of the ongoing championship to avoid facing Israeli competition. Madadi feels that politics don’t belong in sports, and his sentiments echo those of many of his countrymen, who started the hashtag #BanIRSportsFederations. Madadi tells MMAnytt that he feels sports should be an arena free of politics and religion, and that he has love and respect for athletes of all cultures, ethnicity and backgrounds.
Aside from Madadi’s much anticipated return, the event also features a plethora of Swedish talent – both new and more established. PFL vet Jonatan Westin will collide with Conor McGregor team mate and Bellator vet John Redmond in a middleweight showdown. TUF contestant Frantz Slioa is booked for the event, though his opponent has not been confirmed. Accomplished Swedish thai- and kickboxer Hamza Bougamza makes his fifth pro appearance against local talent Kevin Osorio as well.
- Alexander Gustafsson interested in comeback fight against Luke Rockhold
- Undefeated Swedish prospect Khamzat Chimaev signs exclusive deal with BRAVE
- Alexander Gustafsson hints at possible UFC return
- Sweden’s first female Bellator fighter returns for home field fight
The pro bouts and fighters that have been announced can be found below.
- No-gi lightweight super fight: Reza Madadi vs. Moshe Ben Shimol
- Lightweight: David Jacobsson vs. Saeed Ganji
- Bantamweight: Hamza Bougamza vs. Kevin Osorio
- Middleweight: Jonatan Westin vs. John Redmond
- Bantamweight: Bilal Tipsaev vs. Eli Elias
- Frantz Slioa vs. TBA
- Elin Öberg vs. TBA
- Mohammad Babadivand vs. TBA