UFC on ESPN 10: Cynthia Calvillo shines, Marvin Vettori wins grudge match
Cynthia Calvillo showed why she’s a force to be reckoned with, claiming her biggest victory to date – Catch the full results from UFC on ESPN 10 here on MMAnytt!
Tee UFC continued holding events at the Apex Center, with a card that definitely made up for anything that it lacked in name value via pure entertainment. Cynthia Calvillo moves up to flyweight to face former title contender Jessica Eye in the main event. There were many questions heading into the bout, but Calvillo let the results speak for themselves as she impressed in the UFC on ESPN 10 headliner.
Other MMA news:
- Tito Ortiz vows to star career as cop to: “Bring respect back to officers”
- Nate Diaz roasted by other fighters – After title fight rant
- UFC fighters condemn racism, support Black Lives Matter in new video
- Dana White fires back at ‘frustrated’ Conor McGregor: ‘He can’t get…’
Calvillo began with strong striking, even getting Eye to the ground in the second. Despite that, Eye was hardly out of the fight, but Calvillo’s pressure was a handful for the former title challenger. The fight evened out in the third round with both fighters landing strikes, but with Calvillo securing more successful kicks. Calvillo landed a takedown in less than a minute into the fourth round. Both fighters were fatigued in the fifth, but with Eye unable to score anything fight-altering, Calcillo managed to secure a final takedown, putting a stamp on the fight. With judges scoring the bout 49-46, 49-46, 48-47, Calvillo won the biggest fight of her career.
The middleweight grudge match between Marvin Vettori and Karl Roberson didn’t take long to settle. After exchanging strikes, Roberson took Vettori to the ground. The Italian managed to get up and reverse, landing in top position. Landing hard ground and pound, Vettori eventually secured a rear naked choke, ending the fight and the feud.
UFC on ESPN 10 full results:
- Cynthia Calvillo def. Jessica Eye via unanimous decision (49-46, 49-46, 48-47)
- Marvin Vettori def. Karl Roberson via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 4:17
- Charles Rosa def. Kevin Aguilar via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Andre Fili def. Charles Jourdain via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Jordan Espinosa def. Mark De La Rosa via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Mariya Agapova def. Hannah Cifers via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 2:42
- Merab Dvalishvili def. Gustavo Lopez via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-25)
- Julia Avila def. Gina Mazany via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 0:22
- Tyson Nam def. Zarrukh Adashev via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 0:32
- Christian Aguilera def. Anthony Ivy via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 0:59