Sage Northcutt Confirms Talks With ONE Championship And Says “It’d Be Cool” To Join Them
Free Agent Sage Northcutt has confirmed that he’s held talks with ONE Championship.
The 22-year-old was in attendance this past week at ONE: Heart of the Lion where Kevin Belingon defeated Bibiano Fernandes to unify the ONE Championship bantamweight world title in the main event.
Northcutt, who was in attendance at the Singapore Indoor Stadium, fought out his UFC contract earlier this year when he defeated Zak Ottow at UFC Fight Night 133 in July and has since been exploring options in free agency.
Speaking with Andrew Whitelaw of Fox Sports Asia this past weekend, Northcutt confirmed that he’d flown into Singapore to speak with ONE Championship CEO and Owner Chatri Sityodtong:
“I’m actually in Singapore right now to talk with Mr. Chatri about possibly being a ONE Championship fighter,” Northcutt said. “That’s what I’m talking about, that’d be cool.”
— Andrew Whitelaw (@ASTJWhitelaw) November 8, 2018
Should Northcutt join ONE, he’d be the third high profile fighter making the move from the UFC to ONE Championship in the month. Eddie Alvarez revealed last month he’d signed for the promotion and that he’d signed a lucrative eight figure deal with the Singapore based organization.
Just a few weeks later, Demetrious Johnson was the next fighter to make the move from the UFC to ONE. Welterweight Bren Askren went in the opposite direction to join the UFC following a trade deal between the two promotions.
Where Northcutt ends up remains to be seen, but keep it locked to MMANytt.com to find out when he signs on the dotted line.