Rory MacDonald Admits Removal From The Bellator 192 Main Event Came As A ‘Total Shocker’
Last week we learned that Rory MacDonald vs Douglas Lima would serve as the co-main event rather than the main event of Bellator 192 and understandably the Canadian is a little upset at what’s happened.
MacDonald will take on Lima for the Bellator welterweight title on Saturday night, but apparently, the title being on the line isn’t enough to make it the headline bout. The fight was expected to be the main event and was promoted as such, but late last week it was announced that the Bellator Heavyweight Grand Prix Tournament fight between Chael Sonnen vs Quinton Jackson would occupy the main event slot.
Speaking today at the Bellator 192 open workouts, MacDonald admitted the news came to him as a complete shock and that Bellator didn’t inform him of the news themselves.
“Yeah, totally out of the blue, didn’t see it coming,” MacDonald said. “I found out through an interview. I didn’t even find out from anyone at Bellator or anything like that. It was a total shocker and I didn’t know how to take it. I don’t understand why the decision was made, but after hearing why and everything, you know, it’s their business of how they want to run things. My business is in the cage so I’m focused on that.”
Despite the disappointing news, MacDonald said he’s focused on one thing and one thing only on Saturday night, winning his first Bellator title and defeating Lima.
“I’m disappointed, what can I say,” MacDonald said. “Every time you fight for a world championship, fighters take pride and it’s a special to be the main event for a world title fight so it’s an unfortunate part of it, but I’m not going to let it take my focus away from what my job is and that’s getting that title.”
Full workout scrum: