Nathaniel Wood Reacts To His 50-Second Knockout At Cage Warriors 92
Cage Warriors 92: ‘Super Saturday’ finished with a bang last evening as their bantamweight champion Nathaniel Wood cemented his position as one of the premier talents in the world fighting at 135-pounds.
It took Wood just 50-seconds to land a big left hand and send his opponent Luca Iovine face first into the canvas.
Speaking backstage afterward, Wood said he’d always been planning a quick night of work.
“I’m not sure if it was with yourself, but I did an interview the other day and I said I wasn’t going to be here for a long night.
“I had a bit of a back and forth [in my last fight], but I wanted to get in and out tonight,” he said.
“I was saying to my coach, when you land a shot your instincts tell you to pounce on the guy, but I knew I didn’t need to do that you know.
“As soon as I landed and I saw the way he turned, I knew. It was good just to get in in and out of the cage as soon as possible.”
With two title defences now under his belt, Wood doesn’t have many potential opponents ready to step up and challenge him.
Welshman Jack Shore, who won earlier on in the evening, could be one potential man to step up and take the challenge, but Wood doesn’t think he’d have many issues dealing with him.
“I don’t think any of these guys are on my level,” Wood said.
“They can call me out all they want, Jack Shore called me out, but he did so politely so there’s no sort of beef, but he’s not on level.”
With four straight wins, Wood will have to be seriously considered for a call up to the UFC. A call up to UFC Liverpool might be a little premature, but with the promotion heading to Hamburg, Germany in July, that could be the moment the Londoner gets the nod.
“I’ve been ready for the UFC for long time,” Wood said.
“Put me in the UFC now, and this time next year I’ll be top-10.”
Watch the full interview:Bet on the biggest fight in the UFC history - UFC 229: Conor vs Khabib. Visit Ohmbet.com for the best UFC odds and receive €200 bonus to get started!