MIKE TYSON EXPLAINS WHY HE DOESN’T WANT TO BOX ANYMORE
Boxing legend Mike Tyson opens up about why he is done with boxing at the age of 55.
The boxing icon took the world by storm when he made his professional debut as an 18-year-old. He quickly came to crush his opposition and won the WBC heavyweight title when he was 20, the youngest heavyweight of all time.
Tyson eventually became bigger than the sport he once dominated. On July 11, 2005, he fought his last professional bout when he met and lost to Kevin McBride, his second straight loss in the ring.
It would be a long time before Tyson entered the ring again, but on November 28, 2020, he went to a high-profile match against Roy Jones Jr. The match came to go all eight rounds and ended in a controversial draw.
Since then, there has been speculation about Tyson’s next match and there has been no shortage of willing opponents. One of them is YouTube profile Logan Paul who has already been involved in a showdown against Floyd Mayweather Jr. Paul’s younger brother Jake Paul has also been mentioned as a potential opponent.
However, Tyson is shutting down those speculations. As a guest on the Full Send Podcast, Tyson said that he feels finished with boxing for good, and then explains why.
“Guys want to fight me for $ 100 million,” Tyson said. I do not think I will ever do such things again. I wanted to do it the first time (against Jones Jr.) just for fun, to have fun. However, some people took it to another level and did it all financially, and then the fun disappeared.
Tyson revealed that he did not receive his full purse from the showdown against Jones Jr. which was arranged by Triller. He was reported to have had a base pay of ten million dollars. UFC president Dana White also visited the podcast and asked if Tyson received the full amount.
– Most of it, but there are still a lot that have been locked, and I can not say anything more about this, Tyson replied. Yes, it was really tricky.