Georges St-Pierre On His Possible Return: ‘I Think I Will Fight Again’
Georges St-Pierre isn’t done yet.
The former two division champion last fought in November 2017 when he won the UFC middleweight title with a submission victory over Michael Bisping.
Just a few weeks later, St-Pierre surrendered the belt voluntarily while revealing that he was facing a crippling bout of ulcerative colitis that was going to keep him sidelines for an unknown amount of time and he didn’t want to hold up the division in his absence.
Now a few months later, St-Pierre says he’s walking around between 180 and 185 pounds and beginning to feel much better after a serious internal illness kept him sidelined following his win over Bisping.
While he’s not ready to commit to a comeback yet, St-Pierre truly believes that he will step back into the Octagon again one day but he’s just not sure when that will happen.
“I think so. I think I will fight again,” St-Pierre told MMAFighting on Monday. “It depends on my health condition and everything, it’s too soon to say now. I feel much better now as we talk than I used to back in the day when I entered my fight. I always said I would prioritize my health over my performance and I was worried about my health. I was like is something wrong with my body? I don’t feel good, I don’t feel right in my own skin.
“I need to wait for my condition, to see where my weight will be at, where my health will be at. I’m still on medication so I can’t fight right now.”
Assuming St-Pierre does decide to return, he doubled down on the same request he had when booking the fight against Bisping last year.
St-Pierre only wants to take fights that will add onto his legacy, which is why he went up to 185-pounds to challenge for the middleweight title. If he fights again, St-Pierre wants those big, marquee battles that will mean something for his career rather than just facing a top contender or even a champion in a division he’s already conquered.
“If I comeback, it has to be a fight that I have a lot to win,” St-Pierre said. “Not only a fight that I have a lot to lose and not much to win.”
St-Pierre did manage to shoot down potential fights against Nick Diaz and Ben Askren while saying that neither really does much for his legacy at this point.
What that means for the future remains to be seen but at least St-Pierre is leaving the door open to book another fight before calling it a career.Ohmbet.com has the best UFC odds and live props for MMA - use promo code "MMAnyttcom" to double up your deposit - click here