Dana White Explains Why Vitor Belfort Didn’t Get Paid for His Cancelled Fight
Vitor Belfort left St. Louis without a paycheck after his fight against Uriah Hall was cancelled just 24 hours away from the event.
Belfort had previously announced that his bout against Hall was going to be the last of his legendary career but unfortunately his opponent fainted from the ill effects of a brutal weight cut and the fight was ultimately called off.
Belfort later complained that he didn’t get paid despite showing up on weight and ready to compete yet it was his opponent’s fault that there was no fight.
Well UFC president Dana White responded to that request by explaining on Sunday night that the promotion actually found Belfort a replacement opponent as well as a fight for next weekend’s UFC 220 card in Boston but the veteran Brazilian turned down both options.
“We offered him a fight tonight. Vitor could have fought tonight,” White said. “We got him a fight and offered him a fight and he turned it down. We also got him a fight in Boston [at UFC 220] and he turned that down, too.
“Vitor could have fought tonight but he turned it down and he didn’t want to fight in Boston either.”
Instead, White says that Belfort immediately turned his attention towards a showdown with old rival Michael Bisping, who has been rumored for a retirement fight of his own at the upcoming UFC card in London, England in March.
Belfort defeated Bisping by knockout back in 2013 during his career resurgence that eventually led to a UFC title shot two years later.
White admits that it’s too early to know if he’ll actually move on that request and attempt to book the fight, but he seems open to the idea of Bisping vs. Belfort 2 with both fighters already hinting at retiring afterwards.
“I know that’s the fight he wants. He wants to fight Bisping in London,” White said about Belfort. “I’ve still got to get back home and get in the room and figure it out but I’m not opposed to it.”