Dana White waiting for UFC 241 & UFC 242 before booking Conor McGregor
It will soon be a year since former UFC double champ Conor McGregor last fought. His absence has been felt by both fans and the UFC alike, as he is one of the biggest names the sport has seen in the past decade. There have been rumours about a return fight, though nothing that has been substantiated. Now UFC president Dana White has begin opening up about a potential McGregor return.
- Conor McGregor-Jose Aldo rematch rumoured for Madison Square Garden
- UFC boss: Conor McGregor will NOT get title shot
- Conor McGregor Settles Phone Smashing Lawsuit Ahead of Criminal Case
- Floyd Mayweather: “The best MMA fighter in the world…” – NOT McGregor
Speaking with media on site at Dana White’s Tuesday Night Contender Series this week the UFC boss says that the Irish superstar’s return will depend on how the following two UFC pay-per-views turn out.
“I don’t know. That I don’t know,” White told reporters on site. “See how Saturday goes, see how September goes, and then see what happens with Conor.”
White is referring to in regards to McGregor’s return is this weekend’s UFC 241, and UFC 242 – taking place in Abu Dhabi on September 7th. This weekend Anthony Pettis takes on McGregor’s rival Nate Diaz. McGregor and Diaz fought twice with each fighter winning one bout, and a trilogy has been discussed since the second fight.
In the main event at UFC 242, McGregor’s arch rival; reigning lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov, takes on Dustin Poirier – who McGregor knocked out a 2014 bout. White seems to want to wait until these pivotal fights go down until booking a return fight for McGregor.
White has previously been clear about McGregor not getting an immediate title shot upon his return, as his last outing was a losing effort against Nurmagomedov at UFC 229 last October. It seems we wont know who he faces until the results and subsequent storylines from these two big events are in.